Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Welcome to my life...in Japan

With this being the first post of my anthropological studies in Japan , I would like to explain its purpose. I have created this Blog as a requirement for my Visual Anthropology of Japan class. I am currently studying abroad at Kansai Gaidai University on exchange from the University of Massachusetts Amherst. I have been studying Japanese for about three years now;however this is not my first time in Japan. After high school I home stayed for three weeks in Okayama prefecture, therefore I had some previously formed opinions of Japan. As a amature Anthropologist I feel that this should be stated at this Blog's start.
Since my arrival in Japan it has been three weeks. I came along with my childhood friend to live in an apartment. I have willingly chosen to live on my own while attending Kansai Gaidai due my understanding of the rules at their seminar dormitories; also my desire to be independent clashes with the unity of a home stay. Therefore I am as independent and free as I'd like to be.
Enough of my introduction, it is these fine pictures that I am required to explain.
My impressions of Japan this semester have been analytical and also anthropology minded. At least as much as they could have been. Take for instance photo one: This is a shot of Kyoto as the sun is setting. I think that this is one of the best pictures I have ever taken; however this was taken at the beautiful Kyomizu temple. I did not want to put just another picture, of another temple, on another travel blog. This is true beauty, not the exploited beauty that is Japanese temples in the contemporary society. That is not to say that the temples of Japan aren't beautiful, but just image search Kyomizu tera and you'll see it for yourself. Not quite as good as being there, because I was very touched by its beauty.
The next picture I have posted was also taken at Kyomizu temple, yet still there is no temple. I took this picture because it was also very beautiful. A single red tree surrounded by green ones. I also took this picture because I noticed that people were too preoccupied with their sight seeing that they were unaware of this tree right above their heads. At the spring of the holy water I even saw a man take a picture of the cup in his hand as he was about to drink it. This interested me because he was documenting every passing moment of his trip, but doing many stereotypical things. Anyways this is just what I've observed.

1 comment:

visual gonthros said...

Pretty pictures indeed. I am glad you finally got to discuss Japanese people at the end of your post. I think the man in the spring might have been doing pilgrimage which is different from a tourist activity. It certainly seems like an important event if he was recording every moment. But then again maybe he was doing a visual anthropology project. I think you will find as time goes by that the Japanese love nature. I see many Japanese photographing trees and flowers quite often.

Thank you for explaining your "independent" position in Japan as your readers will get a better understanding of where you are coming from in your observations and text. But you might want to consider that anthropological fieldwork by its very nature entails giving up certain freedoms. Living with a host family means having to obey their household rules. But it also gives you a perspective as to how Japanese people live with their family. I hope your independent living arrangement will be fruitful for your study of Japanese culture.

Do you want to add a title for this post?

Please enable anonymous comments.

-scf