Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Looking for Home?

Lets talk religions in Japan! That's one thing out of the past few week that I can give any sound information and opinion on. Despite more than half of the population having no particular religious affiliation, instances of religion can be seen in every Keihan line train-car. Japan has deep Shinto and Buddhist roots, therefore there are many representations of this in society. I however do not wish to discuss these religions particularly. I am much more interested in those newer, shiny religions. According to the CIA (World Fact Book:Japan), some 16% of Japanese residents belong to these religions.
These "other" religions I chose are mostly based on, accessibility, and knowledge. Since Kenny-sensei's Japanese religion class recently went on a field trip to Tenri (the birthplace of Tenrikyo as well as all of humanity) I have plenty of thoughts on this issue. Before I start disclosing valuable information of this sacred spot, I would also like to mention Soka Gakkai. I have a close friend who happens to be of this faith, and disclosed some facts about it. Besides Shinto, Buddhism, and Tenrikyo, it is the only other religion in Japan I know something about.

Soka Gakkai is essentially a peace loving self empowering religion. Unlike the Jinja and Tera of traditional Japanese religions(even churches), Soka Gakkai believes these to be unnecessary and distracting aspects of worship. For being only 78 years old, Soka Gakkai has a respectable 12 million member estimate. This blows my topic religion out of the water by about 10 million members. This is because of the difference in each one's standard procedure. Soka Gakkai members have the freedom to practice on their own terms, it is less material (hence its Buddhist foundations) and more spiritual. Tenrikyo involves a very specific sacred object and location, limiting its popularity.
Within the confines of the Tenrikyo Headquarters stands a column on the (supposed) creation point of all humanity. In honor of this fact, a popular saying amoung followers use is: "Welcome Home".This site was discovered by a woman (Miki Nakayama) in the 1830's being guided by the spirits. Apparently it was under her house. After the demolishing of her family house, the spot was declared holy. One hundred some odd years later, this structure (to the right) has been built around the spot. Photos are not allowed inside for the sanctity of the pillar. There is no roof above the pillar, fore it is never to be obstructed by a ceiling. This is not the main building however, the building housing the spirit of Miki Nakayama is considered most holy. Everyday there is food brought to the spirit, even the TV is turned on for her. Extreme, but necessary for keeping the faith and receiving benefits.
The point I am trying to get across here is that each religion is treated as a little strange "hen" within Japanese culture. Tenrikyo worships a place with limited members, and Soka Gakkai gains members and power through its accessibility. Both religions are spoken of as "cultish". Knowing what I do now I would say that members of said faiths are just self identifying with what each one has to offer. When I received my initial explanation of each, I was given the impression that they were more like religions in exile. I was told that the town of Tenri was a cult town, and that Soka Gakkai were extremists.
Soka Gakkai does have its own sect within the Japanese Government, and Tenrikyo did rename and (almost) completely occupy Tenri; therefore they are given somewhat of a bad rep by any typical non believer. Not to mention the rumor about our Kansai Gaidai being owned and controlled by Soka Gakkai affiliates. That is just a rumor I've heard though. One of my close friends is a SG follower and she will often leave this fact out when speaking about religion with people who aren't close friends. A Tenrikyo follower is probably just as discreet. Our tour guide even said how most people (while outside of Tenri) refrain from gallivanting about in their ever fashionable Tenrikyo Happi, a uniform that many followers wear (see previous post's second picture). Why should these people have to be embarrassed that they follow a less credible and ancient religion? I feel it is just a lack of knowledge on the Japanese citizen's part, the country is (according to our in class PowerPoint) 53% non-affiliated with religion.

3 comments:

visual gonthros said...

OK, so how are your pictures related to your text? And you hint at things without fully explaining them. Who is your intended audience (besides me and the religion sensei)? Do you think they are "getting" what you write?

Why do you provide a link for Soka Gakkai but not Tenrikyo?

Why are you using the CIA as a source for information about religion in Japan?

It is a bit odd and probably inappropriate to discuss Tenrikyo and Soka Gakkai together in the same brief post. They are very different and should not be lumped together as "cults" (or colts?). Your representations of both religions are inaccurate (unfortunately so much so that I wouldn't even know where to begin with corrections...). It seems that you should have chosen one or the other, done some research and then write your post, incorporating your visual images in a way that your audience would understand.

By the way, your professor has blogged about Tenrikyo and that should have been a good starting point for your research...

Cory G. said...

Look, I put a lot of effort into this post. I don't know everything about religion, and I did do research on both religions. I even listened to a Tenrikyo follower talk about the religion for two hours. I know what it is about. I refrence at least one picture in this post, and when I was trying to publish this post at on point (thanks to the CIE computer lab) I lost all of my pictures and links. I thought that I had put everything back up there, but I managed to miss the Tenrikyo link (it was supposed to be there). These are just technical problems.
I can't be an expert on every post (of the twelve that we have) on a weekly basis.
Professor, you have been in Japan 10 years more than I have. I am still new here. I did not even know these existed two months ago. I am just relaying what I have come to OBSERVE. I was there, I am here, and I see things everyday. That IS visual anthropology to me. It is hard enough getting the posts done in time.
I feel these past two comments were too harsh. I blog in my own style while keeping in mind the technicalities, but I can only change so much. I am not a machine.

visual gonthros said...

I see that you put a lot of effort into your post. And that is why I put effort into making comments. I didn't think I needed to pull any punches with you.

I see where you made some changes in your post. Thanks.

I am not expecting you to be an expert of all things Japanese before you do your posts. What I hope for is that you choose topics of interest to you and do some research. I'm glad you could take advantage of the fieldtrip to Tenri. And it's good that you have talked with members of Soka Gakkai. But you should also do a little reading to see what other researchers have said and done with these topics.

The advice I would like to offer you, and other students, is 1) narrow/focus the topic, and 2) do some background research.

I do like your writing style. Our visual anthro blogs are challenging in that we are trying to work on presentation and provide accurate cultural descriptions. I see growth and improvement every week. Please continue your efforts.